Sunday, March 21, 2010

re packet garden

this seems to be a common thing I think? Translating of information, or visualizing it somehow. Why is this important in art? Like the artwork mentioned before of making islands based on a person's gps movement - why this translating of information into another form? Does it do anything?

E.g. if I translate a sentence from english to french I could make the sentence look different - but does this improve my understanding of the meaning of that sentence? I could translate ANYthing into ANY picture (using my own made-up rules) - what happens? Just a pretty picture or a better understanding?
You could say that by re-interpreting it you are gaining a better understanding, through new eyes, looking at another angle. A spikey tree-graph of the internet gives you a wider view of it.

But then again - do our brains need visualization? - do I need a visualization of the route of my journey so that I can walk it? Or do I just do it? Does this kind of stuff have false meaning and just looks pretty or does it genuinely bring about new understanding? And do we need that much of this kind of thing? I dunno - anyone?

No comments: