Wednesday, October 21, 2009

projections. sensors, sculpture

Dear all, here is some footage I dug up from just messing about with shapes. It's a fairly simple idea - two circles that I transformed /morphed according to random keypoints. I thought about it when we were at 52 as we mentioned motion-tracking- what if we could find a way of translating these changes to the movements of an individual/ group of people? I know there are programs that allow you to edit 'live'. This is only a sketch, and we could use different shapes, colours- anything u like really. Never mind the 'twitches', I wanted it glitchy at the time.




Untitled from Sid Volter on Vimeo.



Also, sorry to ramble, but I found this diy : very simple idea but pretty, adds a sculptural element, and also fits into the analogue-digital theme:





256 wires suspended, projector projecting horizontally to correspond with them. Personally I think it would be too frustrating + fiddly - you have to register the pixels with each wire. Eek! Search 'wiremap' and theres loads of tutorials on how to make one, and the code is open-source! People are doing all sorts of things with the idea, including moving 3d objects - a bit like a hologram.

1 comment:

Stevo said...

Hi guys,

How did the brainstorming go?

I've been looking into some processing software that uses java to interface with live feeds from webcams. As Sid mentioned - all the code is open source, so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to sort out. I'll bring my laptop in tomorrow, so if we get chance we could have a ganders at it perhaps?

Cheerio folks